Monday 28 July 2014

Mailbox Monday (3)

Mailbox Monday is hosted by Marcia at Mailbox Monday blog.

Well, I was doing so well this week not buying any books at all and then I went and blew it last night and bought three books for my kindle. This week has been a shocking week of news what with the Malaysian Airlines plane being shot down, the mounting tensions in Ukraine, and the devastation in Gaza, and I had started to feel pretty overwhelmed by it all and extremely helpless. So I thought I'd try a bit of retail therapy to see if it might take the edge of things a bit. Only a quick, short-term fix unfortunately but hey ho! Do you use the excuse of "retail therapy" to buy books?

So while the retail therapy wasn't all that therapeutic, reading them will be. The main reason I read is for pure escapism, which is why I mainly read fantasy and science fiction - because I know that the events are definitely made up and not based in reality. Reality can suck at times. What do you get from reading?

Here is what made it in to my house this week for future reading:

Personal Kindle Purchases:


The Eye of the World: View on Amazon || View on Goodreads
Iron Council: View on Amazon || View on Goodreads
The Republic of Thieves: View on Amazon || View on Goodreads

Books for Review on NetGalley:


Age of Iron: View on Amazon || View on Goodreads
The Steampunk Trilogy: View on Amazon || View on Goodreads

I've already started reading Age of Iron - so far so good!

Related Articles:
First Chapter - First Paragraph - Tuesday Intro: Age of Iron

11 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying Age of Iron! The Steampunk Trilogy looks fun, happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been feeling the need for retail therapy here lately too but, so far, I've been able to resist. I hope you love your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to an author reading last week and bought her book (even though I'd read a review copy). A bit shocked at the price of a new hardcover but I loved the book as well as the author so I was happy to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember the last time I bought a hardcover book. It's nice to have a copy of a book though if you've been to a reading and got a feel for the author. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  4. Yes, downloading books is a wonderful way to feel better...no waiting for shipping, etc. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY WEEKLY SUNDAY/MONDAY UPDATES POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the no waiting for shipping is a plus but on the downside, there is nothing to hold or look at to show for my shopping experience.

      Delete
  5. Great mailbox. It is very easy to get overwhelmed by world events, especially when it seems like there is so little we can do.

    2 Kids and Tired Books MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I'm going to set aside a bit more time for me to read this week so I can immerse myself in a fantasy world bubble for a bit.

      Delete
  6. I can relate to retail therapy for sure. And e-books makes buying so easy. What cool looking books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Steampunk Trilogy sounds interesting. I like a little alternate reality once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these covers.

    Looks like you had a great buying spree.

    ENJOY all your books.

    Have a wonderful reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete